University of Jamestown Harold Newman Arena
The University of Jamestown competes in 14 sports with half of its students participating in at least one sport. The University needed a new facility that would benefit its sports programs and be used by the community as an event center. Led by the Newman family’s donation to honor their father’s legacy, construction on a new $15 million arena began.
The 61,000 s.f. facility is home to the University of Jamestown men’s and women’s basketball teams and the women’s volleyball team. One of the most unique features of the building is the Victory Tower. The Victory Tower is a bell tower that is symbolically rung after every Jimmie win in the Harold Newman Arena. The bell is used to attract current students to attend games and has created a new tradition for the University of Jamestown to rally around.
• Arena seating for 2,000
• Flexible lobby space that can be converted into a larger foyer area for events of up to 350 people
• Two concession areas
• Full-sized basketball court/volleyball court with retractable bleachers to allow for two basketball courts or three volleyball courts for camps or large practices
• Private booster room overlooking court with a sliding divider wall that can open to the lobby area
• Eight locker rooms
• Iconic Victory Bell Tower that is rung after every win
• Renovated training facility with cold or hot whirlpool, and two hydrotherapy pools
• Locker rooms for officials and basketball, volleyball, soccer, and football teams
• The University of Jamestown Athletics Hall of Fame
Most recently, ICON designed the building addition, the Farmers Union Insurance Center, that included a second sheet of ice for practices. The additional sheet of ice allows the 35,000 s.f. arena to meet the need for more ice time and allows the arena to be more flexible in hosting events and tournaments.
• Design-build delivery
• 6 locker rooms
• 600 seats
• Multi-purpose room
• Hockey academy/off-ice training